How do I make a traditional matcha tea?
Making matcha is a little bit different to just dunking a tea bag into hot water, but it's not difficult either! Experiencing the Japanese tea ceremony zen at home is easy with the Japanese bamboo whisk (chasen) and scoop (chashaku). If you don't have the traditional tools, don't worry because it's still easy to whisk up a quick tea without them!
Traditional matcha tea
- Measure 1tsp of matcha with your chashaku scoop or spoon and sift into bowl
- Add 60mls of hot water (about 80 degrees is ideal)
- Whisk with your bamboo chasen in a W motion quickly until the tea develops a nice froth
- Enjoy your matcha straight out of the bowl!
Matcha in a mug
- Measure and add 1/2 tsp or a tsp of matcha to your mug
- Add small amount of hot water to the cup and mix into a paste with a spoon
- Fill the rest of your mug with hot water and stir
- Enjoy your matcha tea!
Matcha in cooking
Matcha is an incredibly versatile ingredient and it doesn't just stop at tea! Matcha can be made into many other drinks like lattés, blended into smoothies for an antioxidant boost, mixed into yoghurts or ice cream and even in baked desserts like cakes and breads! Discover these and more easy to make matcha recipes here!